Thursday, May 14, 2015

"Your Whole Souls as an Offering Unto Him" Elder Bednar

Elder Bednar begins his talk, "Today I want to discuss the relationship between the doctrine of Christ and your academic work at Ricks College.  Simply stated, I want to discuss the doctrinal and spiritual reasons for being a diligent student."

This talk was incredibly inspiring to me. Elder Bednar basically said that being a Saint is no excuse to shirk on responsibilities. Just because we have church, service, jobs, classes, and so much more, does not mean we should choose to do less because we are so busy. Elder Bednar says to not choose, "the academic path of least resistance." Education is should be high priority. Ever since I was young, my parents taught me to prolong my education and be a life long learner. Whenever I feel like taking it easy and not trying as hard as I know I can, I think of what is expected of me. It is not just the expectations of my parents, both earthly and heavenly. but of myself. I create high expectations for myself because I know how essential education is in the plan of salvation. 

" The mission of Ricks College has four important and interrelated parts:  
1.  Build testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and encourage living its principles.  
 2.  Provide a quality education for students of diverse interests and abilities.  
 3.  Prepare students for further education and employment, and for their roles as citizens and parents.  
4.  Maintain a wholesome academic, cultural, social and spiritual environment."

Elder Bednar continually mentions the importance of faithfulness and competence. Not only is it important to be faithful but it is important to be diligent. Having faith is one thing, but action on that faith is quite another. As saints we are encouraged to work, and work HARD. That is one aspect of BYU-Idaho that I love. As It says in the mission statement, this school is preparing us for our role as citizens and parents. No matter which role. we need to give it our all. Elder Bednar says that the mission of BYU-Idaho is to provide these resources that are "essential skills for a spiritual, happy, and productive life." 

In this life we need a "mighty heart" and a "strong mind" to make it through. Our education here at BYU-Idaho is preparing us for that and strengthening our heart and mind. An important aspect of this is sacrifice. Sometimes we need to sacrifice in order to grow stronger. Elder Bednar states in his talk that "Our pledge is:  I will give all that I possess, and I am willing to die, if need be, for the gospel of Jesus Christ." Honestly, I Christ made the greatest sacrifice for us, why shouldn't we be able to do the same for him? By devoting your life to Christ, you strengthen your heart and mind remarkably. 

"When young people can acquire the skills, the techniques, and the knowledge of these times, and along with it have a spiritual commitment and a solid faith and cleanliness of life, there is nothing that you can’t achieve; nothing in righteousness or in reason." I loved this quote  Elder Bednar took from Elder Evans. It wrapped up Elder Bednar's talk well, and summarized the importance of living worthily and diligently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment