Sunday, May 3, 2015

Magdalena Yesil Case Study

  1. How did Magdalena Yesil’s habit of lifelong learning benefit her career.
Yesil's habit of lifelong learning was the most important quality that furthered her career. Yesil had the motive of 'being all the way there,' in every situation. She did not let distractions get to her. She stayed focused on her tasks at hand and she had a strong desire to learn all there was to learn. Yesil also recognized that life is hard. Making it to the top is not a  cake walk. Yesil got her degree and put herself out there; absorbing all the knowledge she could and seeking for more learning opportunities. By doing these things, Yesil achieved many successes and grew to have more freedom and opportunities in her life. 
  1. If you were in Yesil’s position, how would you respond to the offer made by USVP?
Although I cannot speak for Yesil or her particular situation, from my stand point, I think she should not take the offer from USVP. From her story it sounds like Yesil has many options and an ample amount of connections. If Yesil were to continue to lead an entrepreneurial life, she would no doubt thrive. Also, Yesil sounds like she truly enjoys the freedom an entrepreneurial life brings. I think Yesil's happiness accounts for a majority of her decision. 
  1. How would you address the challenges to family life that this kind of career would present to you? Why would you remain or not remain in this type of career?
Balancing family life, along with having this kind of career is definitely difficult but it is doable. Yesil has stood her ground with her decision not to move out of her home in California. Yesil lives with her husband, two kids, and her mother. She sounds very family-oriented. I believe that it is possible to balance the two lifestyles if you are diligent and committed. If it comes to the point of choosing which of the two is most important, I think most people would say family comes first. For me, family absolutely comes first. If I need to step back at work, or even quit and find a solution that works better with my schedule so I can be with my kids and spend time with my family, then I will do it. But I really believe that if I am willing to work hard, I can have it all. 
  1. Magdalena pondered one more transition from entrepreneur to financier. What would you recommend she consider doing? Why?
As I said before, I think Magdalena should stay an entrepreneur. Yesil is passionate about working with people and she enjoys her freedom in her working lifestyle. Yesil is a 'life-long learner' and in her position as an entrepreneur, she has the ability to be exposed to many different ideas and projects, furthering her knowledge. I believe that entrepreneurship is a good fit for Yesil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment