Thursday, May 21, 2015

"Making a Living and a Life" Elder Robbins

Pride is the universal sin. In business there are many different type of people. Elder Robbins, includes the following chart when describing the different type of people in business....

Grade
Primary Motivation
Secondary Motivation
A
 Love  ©
Income  $
B
 Money  $
Love  ©
C
 Love of money  $
Indifferent to customers
D
 Filthy Lucre   $
Harmful to customers
F
 Filthy Lucre
Harmful to customers and to society, nations destroyed.

This talk was extremely informative to me. I have always wondered when are line crossed in business? In other words, when does your profession also become a sin against God? In my opinion, the best analogy in this talk was "It's a Wonderful Life." Not only is it one of my absolute favorite movies, but it shares an incredible lesson. George Bailey made his decisions based on love for his family, and for his fellowman. Mr. Potter on the other hand, was greedy and money was his primary motivation. Although George was not 'the richest man in town' like Potter, George was much richer. In the end, George is struggling financial and all the people he had helped over the years came and gave him money to help him in his time of need. Those relationships, and that deep Christlike love shared among friends and family, is what made George Bailey so lucky. He had liven his life with 'Love' as his primary motive, and it had blessed him exceedingly.

When I think about going into business, I feel incredibly cautious. Most businesses do not  prioritize love like they prioritize money. It is an unfortunate truth, and it is the reason I am so skeptical about my future profession. I  have begun researching companies that interest me, to see what is their real, core motive. I am drawn to businesses that assist those in third world countries, those with diseases, and those who are homeless. Although I am not completely sure of my exact direction, I know  with assurance that I will choose a career path that's primary motive is 'Love,' because 'Love' is my primary motive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment