Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Report on Mentor Interviews

I had the privilege of interviewing a couple of incredible and successful entrepreneurs for this assignment. I learned so much from them. The most prominent thing is that what we are learning in this class, most definitely pertains to  real life!

 With both my interviewees, I chose family friends who I know are successful in their chosen field and who are from the Boston area. I was born and raised in Boston, and it is where I want to end up someday. Therefore, I thought it might be a good resource to interview those who work there. That way I can determine the market and become equip to that area's needs.

My first interview was with Kimberley Benjamin Dwyer, the Managing Director at Atlantic Trust Company in the Greater Boston Area. Kim is not what you would consider a typical entrepreneur. However, as this class has taught me, the entrepreneur mindset can apply to any profession and I believe Kim exemplifies that belief. Kim was a member of the LDS church during college, and her primary goal was to get married and have a bunch of kids. Life threw a curve ball however, and she did not get married until she was in her 40's. Did that stop her from working hard and discovering all that her life had to offer? No! Kim worked  her way up to a prestigious position at an investment company.

I really enjoyed speaking with Kim about her journey because her diligence and persistence are unmatched. Also, as an LDS woman in business there is a stigma related to woman who do not get married and start a family right away. It is a worthy goal and family is the most important thing that life has to offer but, life is unpredictable. It is best to be educated and prepared, which is exactly what I am trying to do. It was wonderful to speak with Kim and feel reassurance for the work that I am putting in. She is an incredible example to me of what a woman in business can become.

My next interview was with John Pandiscio, who is currently the Director of Marketing and Advertising at an entrepreneurial startup called 5 Wits. 5 Wits, is the leader in developing and operating cutting edge, live-action adventures. Previously, John founded a company called FamilyTimeFun. This innovative establishment was a series of games that were marketed for the dinner table. John's company was very successful and the brand was sold to national and regional stores such as Target, Barnes & Noble, and Hallmark. At the company's peak, John sold the licensing rights to a national board game company because his son was starting college, aand he needed to provide for his family. 

John and his family are wonderful family friends and John has shared his products with us to test them and try them out before they hit the shelves. His creativity and time management are something to marvel at. I think a major factor in John's personal and entrepreneurial success is his passion. John has an infectious personality and is someone you want to be around.  I think that plays a key role into his connections  and with other people or businesses eagerness to work with him. 

I am lucky enough to come from a family of hard working business people and entrepreneurs. My mother is a senior marketing manager at a growing software company, and my father owns his own guitar teaching business. My grandfather currently keeps bees and sells honey and previously he owned a video store. As I continue in this class and become aware of the many connections I have and I am eager to interview more of them. Kim and John were an incredible start to the 'finding mentors' process, and now I am ready to find more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment