Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 4: Design Thinking and Social Innovation

1. As I was reading the links for this week, I noticed that design thinking has a lot to do with finding the root of the problem; a main discussion we have been having in class. I have discovered that making the discovery of the root cause is essential as a social entrepreneur. Even if I cannot be a part of a large social innovation project, I can create a mindset of instinctively trying to find the root of any issue. This will not only benefit my professional life, but my personal life as well. I believe that addressing the root of any problem creates an opportunity for innovation and progression. 
One of the articles addressed the topic of 'power.' As a woman, there is a negative connotation associated with being a 'powerful female.' However, I believe that power, in appropriate doses, is constructive and critical. In order to make a difference as a social entrepreneur, we cannot just be 'all talk;' we need to take action! You have probably already discovered that I am largely supportive of the  equal rights of all human beings (I tend to be an outspoken feminist and proud of it!) In order for to achieve equality, we need powerful people taking action where it matters most. We need to "use our voices and words, creativity, skills, and compassion," in order to make a difference. I am outrageously supportive of the arts and the human ability to create and become. I work in a creative environment; an advertising agency. I never thought that I would be  making to much of a social impact there, however, I have learned that through the creative process, incredible things can happen. Social problems need creatives who spread the message of truth! Since starting at the agency, I have learned so many things and I have gotten the necessary exposure to a creative business environment. I believe the skills I am learning there now will be helpful as I grow into a social innovator. 
2. In the Hans and Ola Rosling's TED talk, they said, "If you have a fact-based world view of today, you might have a chance to understand what is coming next in the future." Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
To an extent, I agree with Hans and Ola Rosling's TED talk. However, I believe there are just some aspects that cannot be explained through factual evidence. When it comes to social innovation, I think if the facts were more readily available to the general public, that awareness of truth would provoke more participation. But, the human condition is to reject change for as long as possible. People are scared of the truth. They are afraid of changing something and taking a step out of their comfort zone. Especially if taking that step is not beneficial to them. Although I would like to think of people as charitable beings, so many are selfish in their ways. The facts are good, but they are not enough. In order to change, I believe we need emotional connections. We need to hit the general public with something they can relate to; something that tugs at their heartstrings. 
3. According to Roger Martin and Sally Osberg's acticle, the field of social entrepreneurship is a new one. Make some predictions of what you think the field will become in the next 10, 20, and 50 years in the future.
I am so excited to be able to be alive at the beginning of such an industrious, innovative field. In the next ten years, I hope to see social innovation as a major in universities around the world. I also hope that by then it will be a well-known subject of knowledge. In twenty years I would like to see some of the global root issues to be farther in the process of being resolved. Within fifty years, my optimistic goal would be to have poverty issues and environmental  issues solved. I know that is wishful thinking. But I believe that social innovation is going to grow into such a large industry and I am expecting big things to happen in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment