Monday, October 19, 2015

Journal Week 5

1. Summarize the three key ideas from this lesson that are most significant to your personal and professional goals.
I was incredibly inspired this week. I know it wasn't exactly the main topic, but Thursday's discussion about relationships really struck a chord with me. I have recently sort of gotten out of a relationship and I have been trying to date more. It is so difficult! I have a lot of things to work on and I am grateful that i was able to learn that now rather than later. Thursday's class made me realized how closed up I am to dating opportunities as well as the things that I need to personally work on to be more emotionally open. I've also been considering my relationship with my parents and my family members. I come from a mostly non-member immediate family and that has had a serious impact on me throughout my life. My relationship with friends and roommates could REALLY be improved upon. I know I am rambling, but i am so inspired after discussing this topic in class. I realize that if i start with myself, and start forming meaningful relationships, I can use my influence for good; not only in my personal life but my professional life as well. 
I really enjoyed the chapter this week. I loved her (I forget her name!) ability to let others help in her organization. She realized that she could not do it alone and she accepted help from others. She reached out for help from others! I personally have a hard time doing this, but I am working on it. You can get so much more done when you are working in a team rather than trying to tackle tasks all yourself. For our project in this class, I have teamed up with some of the girls and we are going to work together. As we met and discussed our plan, I was inspired by everyone's ideas. I was able to brainstorm so much easier with other people there to listen rather than trying to brainstorm alone.

It wasn't too prominent a topic in our reading but we did talk about habits a bit and I always get genuinely inspired by goal-setting and habit-forming. I think social entrepreneurs have the unique ability to be rigid about their goals and flexible about their methods. Social entrepreneurs have a good balance; another thing I would like to work on. I think time management is so important when you are trying to make an impact in the world. It is also important when you are working on achieving personal and professional goals. Some days I do better than others with time management. I am thinking of getting the Streaks app Bro. G talked about. It sounds like a great way to hold myself accountable to my goals and keep my time managing in check. 
2.Do you think it is worth the money and resources to accurately measure impact for a nonprofit organization? Why or why not?

I absolutely do think it is worth the money and resources to accurately measure the impact for a nonprofit organization. First off, you NEED to know the impact of your organization, or even know if your organization will make a significant  impact. If not, what are you even doing it for? Measuring the impact effects all other parts of your organization. It will help you determine where you need to focus, what you need to change, and the list goes on. Additionally, you need these statistics to show to people who are investing in your organization. Why should they donate money to you? What sort of impact are you making? No wise investor is going to just give you money because you have a generic tagline and good intentions. What is the draw? What difference are you making really? You need to give them the facts. To sum it up, measuring impact is crucial, not only to nonprofits, but really any business. 
3.How can you be sure that the solution an organization is providing is truly accomplishing its goals? Why is it important to know that?

I think it really just comes down to doing your research. Before donating or supporting a company, you need to research what you are getting yourself into. As I said before, measuring impact is so important; it is  the basis of nonprofit organizations. As a donor, you want to make sure you money and your time is not just being flushed down the toilet. Are your funds and efforts making a difference? Do you know? Then do your research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment