Monday, September 21, 2015

Social Innovations: Week 1

I was really inspired by our time in class this past week as well as inspired the reading. As I am getting my education, I look at the job field with an open mind. One thing is  for sure though--I want to help people. Whether I become a social entrepreneur or just an advocate of basic human rights in my community, I want to make sure I am making a difference and doing some good in the world. I took three quotes from the reading that really stuck out to me and inspired me. The first quote is, "Every change begins with a vision and a decision to take action." I  believe I am a person with a vision. I am creative and sensitive to my emotions and my thought process. However, sometimes I lack the will to take action. As I have learned in previous entrepreneurial courses, action is the most important part of the process. Just start. It is that simple. The next quote that really got me thinking is, "Offer better recipes, not just more cooking." As I  read this I was able to relate it to so many different aspects of society. If something is not working, why do we try to cover it up? What we need to do is get to the root of the problem and start doing something else about it. Our society is filled with greed and pride. We are constantly setting our sights on the next best thing. However, we do not take action where it is needed the most. We need to get back to the basics and execute new tactics. Lastly I really enjoyed this quote; "it takes creative individuals with fixed determination and indomitable will to propel the innovation that society needs to tackle its toughest problems." I suppose this quote basically sums up the two previous quotes, but I thought it was eloquently stated. We are the future. What we do now matters. I am excited to see what this next week will have in store for us! 
 Reflection Question #1: How would you answer Jeffery A. Thompson's question, "What is your calling in life? If you don't know yet, how will you find out?" 
As I continue my education, I am constantly asking myself this question. I am always trying to fit myself into a cookie cutter lifestyle; you could say I am 'trying to be like everyone else.' But when it comes to our callings, I don't think there is necessarily one thing you do that can describe all that you are capable of or all that the Lord expects of you. I know without a doubt that my true calling in life is to be a mother. I feel it in my heart so deeply and I cannot deny it. I also know a large part of my life is leading by example and helping others. These things are vital. I do not view them as work; I just have a responsibility to uphold. I know that and I am willing and glad to serve. I get distracted though by all the other things this world would have me believe I must do. I am in school to get a degree and get a job so I can provide for my family if necessary. I fear the future. None of us know what will happen so I am preparing myself for  whatever comes my way. Would I enjoy that cookie-cutter life? Sometimes I really believe I would. But, I know that I am here to learn and work hard. Life is messy, but I am so appreciative of the learning experience. I do not know much, but what I know for sure is the way you treat others says so much about you. I want to be remembered as someone who served her whole life and treated others well. I do not know if you would call that my 'calling.' I still have a lot to figure out! 
Reflection Question #2: Make an outline of what you'd like to include in your entrepreneur's journal and make a plan for how you'll add onto it in the future.
I kept an entrepreneur journal last semester that was truly beneficial when it came to my self-discovery. This semester I would love to include some of those same things! I was able to write out my bucket list which includes over 100 things. Some of those things I actually completed last semester, which was really cool. I would love to write out a list of my passions and start brainstorming ideas on how those passions can apply to social innovation. I have a blog which I plan to keep my journal entries for this class on. I would love to research some non-profit organizations and see who I could get involved in and to receive inspiration. I am so empowered already from our class on Thursday; I would love to discover more volunteer opportunities. As I go forward from this class I think I will continue to add to my bucket list, my volunteer opportunities, and hopefully my passions. I believe that you should never stop learning and never stop growing. My opportunities in life will only increase along with the experiences I will have. I think having a journal; of any kind; is important as we reflect on our lives and figure out our next move. I love rereading my old journals because they remind me of my vision and of how far I have come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment